Tuesday, September 21, 2010

quirky me.

I decided since I love love love reading bio and info from fellow designers, I'd do one on myself. I hope you find it as fun to read as it is to figure out myself! I'll also follow up with myself as a photographer.

At age nine, what did you both want to be?
A teacher. Every year on "career day" I dressed up as a teacher. In highschool I explored art. Loved it all. Thought about being a drafter for a good year, but soon realized it was not for me. I couldn't be creative enough and I love pure color so much I couldn't stand it.

When did you first realize you wanted to be a designer?
I guess my mom and grandma tried to tell me this for years. I remember being in elementary school over at my grandma's house drawing on left over mill paper. And in church, drawing things and passing them on to little men that sat behind us. My grandma and mom always saved my work... never knew why. My grandma told me she always knew I'd be an artist... and its funny the colors I used back then I still love. But designer vs artist? I love fashion, and its my quirky way out of it. I knew when I realized how excited I was studying fonts, and color relationship and shapes.

Do you have any formal design training?
Yes. I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design from Winthrop University in Rock Hill. Pretty crazy and strategic program there that was very difficult... but well worth every tear and stress.

What tools, techniques, and mindsets do you find absolutely essential?
Visualization. That's the first key... to know in your head what you have in your mind. I've found if I go with that first its normally the best starting point. I'm not one to start with a blank canvas and throw stuff on there. I'm all about conceptualizing and planning. I usually have a color scheme in my head going in to it.

Do you have a favorite font?
Favorite? I have several. Right now I'm really digging Hypatia Sans Pro. I love Champagne and Limosines, and Futura. I love mixing serif fonts w/ sans serifs. A few of my favorite serifs are adobe garamond and adobe caslon.

What are the easiest and the most difficult aspects of the design process for you?
Easiest... Layout. I usually have in my mind what I'd like for the design to look like. I worked a lot in college about size relationships and teaching graphic design classes (now that I think about it) seems like that's all I harped on. Hardest... Sometimes I wish I were more edgy about my work... but some projects don't allow it. So, the hardest part is... "Staying back." Being a little more conservative and being ok with it.

How many iterations does it take for a design to become final?
Depends... usually a good 3. This is great though... it forces me to be better at what I designed, push it and really solidify the design.

How do you come up with such different stuff?
I read blogs. I look at inspiration... I get inspiration. I love anything nature related and the colors you find in it. Trends in fashion also influence my designs as well.

Did you have any other paper products in your wedding?
I did. I designed our save the dates (printed with my own gocco printer) on recycled paper. They had a funky fun finish. I designed our wedding invitations (which were gatefold and had a fun belly band.) Also, each candy card at the candy bar, name tags, and gift tags for the candy bar. My favorite was our programs. I think my hand still hurts from punching all those holes.

Favorite design tool?
I really stand strong with a mix. I love photoshop for the fun things you can design and make... and accidents that become some of your stronger work... but then illustrator for drawing... and indesign simply because of all of your printing options. i suppose i couldn't pick just one.

What designers do you really admire? Do you have a favorite graphic designer? Fashion designer? Furniture designer?

Jessica Hische. She's fantastic with her typography... something I wish I could get a better grip on. I love simple, fun clean designs.

What advice would you give a new designer?
1. Push the envelope. Its better to be pulled back than to be conservative about everything.

2. You have to be able to take harsh criticism. At the time I hated it, but thank you Winthrop for running all our designs into the ground. I wouldn't be able to stand up for myself or even know what I was doing had I not had that experience.

3.Design for you, not for the "world." Its hard to do this sometimes but you will be happier with the end result.

Do you have an online shop?
Yes... www.imagetoimpact.etsy.com
Lots of fun things added often... cards, stationery, and custom designs. Check it out!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...